Specialized Factory Racing’s Killian Callaghan jumps on the mic in the first of a three-part podcast with the guys at MTB Tribe.
In true ‘Munya Fein’ style, Killian’s stories will have you in stitches laughing…
Specialized Sponsored Professional Enduro Mountain Biker and Top Lad – Killian Callaghan
On episode #112 it is my pleasure to have Killian Callaghan on the show. This is Part 1 of a 3 Part bi-weekly show with Killian about becoming a professional mountain biker, breaking bones, induced comas, scraping for money to fund his racing and getting the sponsorship deal he had been waiting for. There is a lot in this 3 episode show so buckle in!
I tried to set this episode up with Killian at an earlier stage but with commitments to Specialized and the racing season we had to postpone it until now. But things happen for a reason and it worked out for the better.
Killian was kind enough to spend a bit of time with us and chat about how he got started in mountain biking and his journey to becoming a professional sponsored rider. Killian is such a good lad and was happy to tell his story from the start until the present day, and Killian has plenty to tell. Killian has been riding bikes since he could walk and his journey to becoming a professional rider has been filled with plenty of highs and lows but there has never been a dull moment.
Killian tells it how it is. He is not scared to let you know about the hard times when he decided to forget about mountain biking, had to seek help for his mental state and had to really work hard to push through these very tough times. I love how honest Killian is about the complete journey and it is so refreshing to hear it told so truthfully.
Killian kept working hard and pushing on to race full time and when the opportunity came he was not scared to grab it with both hands and race forward. Tune in to Part 1 of the show to find out how Killian got started, dropped trials and BMX racing for mountain biking, entered his first EWS Enduro and put himself in an induced coma from drinking to much water! It’s a crazy ride.
Enjoy the show!
Find Out In Part 1:
- How Killian was racing trials from a young age
- How he won 10 trials titles
- His video for BBC Top Gear riding through hotels
- How on the first day of filming he almost flooded his bike from riding into the gym pool
- Why Killian is also talented at golf (even if he doesn’t know it)
- Why he dropped motorbike trials for BMX
- How he became National BMX Champion
- Why he couldn’t defend his championship due to injury
- Why Killian was driving his parents mad during his recovery period
- Why Killian started mountain biking and got quickly hooked
- How he started on an old hard tail bike
- Why biking came first and school came second
- How Killian worked out how to be competitive in racing
- How he finally got his hands on a new Nukeproof full suspension
- Killian’s first EWS event
- How Killian put himself in an induced coma