Irish mountain biking hasn’t escaped the effects of Coronavirus COVID-19 with First Tracks Enduro Cup and Irish Downhill Series postponing their championship openers.
With both respective series hoping to get up and running in April, COVID-19 has forced them to hold back for now.
Scheduled for April 4/5 in Castlewellan, First Tracks Enduro Cup announced that they won’t start until May 9/10 in Bigwood at the earliest.
Castlewellan is moved to October 4/5 and, for now, will become the final round of the series.
“It’s not often we say that we are beat and today is no exception,” told First Tracks organisers. “We have explored all possibilities but there simply was only one answer.
“For everyone’s safety we have had to postpone round 1 in Castlewellan. The proposed new date (for Castlewellan only) is the October 3-4.
“We are currently working with all involved to make this happen and plan to take it one round at a time. We will try our best to keep everyone informed of updates as we go.
“We are really sorry to announce this and hope we have your continued support.”
For those entered for Castlewellan, they will receive an email with option to transfer or refund their entry.
Similarly, the Irish Downhill Mountain Bike Series (iDMS) have postponed the opening round at Bree, Wexford.
They expect to run this venue later in the year, with Shronaboy Farm in Killarney becoming the proposed series opener on May 23/24.
Currently Cycling Ireland has cancelled all cycling activity events – road, mtb, BMX – including club spins until March 29th, but as the crisis thickens that date will most likely be extended.
If you do ride at your own risk, stay safe, stay within your limits and observe social distancing at all times.